The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters program when implemented within Head Start programs by measuring children’s language proficiency scores. Participants were kindergarteners concurrently enrolled in both a Head Start program and the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters program along with a comparison group of kindergarteners only enrolled in a Head Start program. According to the results of the chi-square analysis, all of the children who participated in the “Head Start and HIPPY” group scored “developed” on all sections of Texas Primary Reading Inventory or its Spanish language equivalent, El Inventario de Lectura en Espanol de Tejas. However, only about 33 percent of children in the “Head Start Only” group demonstrated “developed” remarks. The remainder of the “Head Start Only” group (67%) scored “needs intervention” on the Texas Primary Reading Inventory/El Inventario de Lectura en Espanol de Tejas. Children who participated in both Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters and attended a Head Start Center showed statistically higher scores in language proficiency ([chi-squared](1, N = 22) = 4.07, p = .04) than children who only attended Head Start.
SOURCE: Brown, Amber L. and Joohi, Lee. “Evaluating the efficacy of children participating in Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters and Head Start.” Journal of Early Childhood Research, March, 2017, 15(1), 61-72
BROTHERHOOD STAFF – please contact the LIBRARY if you would like full text access to this article
OTHER USERS – see this LINK to publisher’s website
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
The Brotherhood of St Laurence acknowledges and recognises the Traditional Owners of the land upon which we live and work, and we pay our respects to their Elders both past and present
Produced by the librarians at the Brotherhood of St Laurence in Melbourne, Australia