In 2019, Anti-Poverty Week will be held from the 13th to the 19th of October. Each year we choose an evidence-based solution to be a focus and partner with the leading campaign/organisation in that space to take action to end poverty. This year we have invited the Raise the Rate campaign led by ACOSS as increasing Newstart and related payments is the single most effective way to reduce poverty in Australia. This campaign is aimed at increasing the rate of Newstart and associated allowances by $75 a week.
Around a million Australians are reliant on these payments which have not been increased in real terms for more than 25 years. Newstart at around $40 a day traps many people in poverty and
many employers say it acts as brake on job search. We can improve our social security system to lift people out of poverty and unemployment – to truly give them a new start.
SOURCE: Anti-Poverty Week website viewed 14 October 2019.
IN THE NEWS – October 2019:
- Anti–Poverty Week to focus on Newstart 9News–12 Oct 2019 Anti–Poverty Week (October 13-19) — will host a number of events, including Cassandra Goldie, chief executive of peak welfare body ACOSS …
Newcastle Poverty Action Alliance hosts sit-in protest to mark … Newcastle Herald (blog) — Alliance hosts sit-in protest to mark start of National Anti–Poverty Week … CALL FOR ACTION: Newcastle Poverty Action Alliance chair Kelly …
Anti–Poverty Week kicks off in Canberra – Show solidarity and … Mirage News–10 Oct 2019 — Next week, 13-19 October is Anti–Poverty Week and the ACT Council of Social Service (ACTCOSS) and the Australian Red Cross
- The Big Issue vendor Brian shares his story in support of Anti-Poverty Week … The Advertiser–12 Oct 2019 — This week is Anti–Poverty Week and Brian hopes to raise awareness of homelessness and how the public can help those in need.
- Kempsey VIEW Club president encourages locals to sponsor … The Macleay Argus–9 Oct 2019 — … local community to sponsor a disadvantaged Australian child through The Smith Family, as Anti–Poverty Week (October 13-19) approaches.
- View Club urge Nambucca Valley community to sponsor an … Nambucca Guardian News–19 Sep 2019 — This Anti–Poverty Week (October 13-19 ), members of Nambucca/Macksville Evening VIEW Club are calling on the local community to sponsor …
- Poverty hurts us all mnnews.today–7 Oct 2019 — Anti–Poverty Week 13-19 October is an opportunity to raise awareness and look at what each of us can do to overcome it. The aim of the week …
- Camden Haven Day VIEW Club urges people to support the … Wauchope Gazette — Members of the Camden Haven Day VIEW Club are calling on the local community to sponsor a disadvantaged Australian child through the …
- Tasmanian Newstart, Youth Allowance recipients share their … ABC News–10 Oct 2019 — Representatives of the project presented the final report to Tasmania’s Parliament as part of Anti–Poverty Week. Minister for Human Services …
- Youth forced to steal food to survive: new Tasmanian poverty … Tasmania Examiner–10 Oct 2019
- Vinnies work towards ending poverty in Australia Have a Go News–11 Oct 2019 — In Australia, there are more than 3 million people currently facing poverty and hardship. Anti–Poverty Week runs from 13 – 19 October and is …
OTHER Links of interest:
- Anti Poverty Week on Twitter
- Brotherhood of St Laurence
- The Centre for Volunteering
- Council to Homeless Persons
- Launch Housing
- Melbourne City Mission
- Salvation Army
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc.
- World Vision Australia (WVA)&
- List of Australian accredited non-government organisations (NGOs)
Produced by the librarians at the Brotherhood of St Laurence in Melbourne, Australia